It Bears Repeating

Quote it. Note it. Share it. Repeat.

3.09.2006

People used to ask June Carter how she was doing, and she used to say, "I'm just trying to matter." And I know what she means. You know, I'm just trying to matter, and live a good life, and make work that means something to somebody."
--Reese Witherspoon, in her acceptance speech at the 78th Academy Awards

I would say that, you know, we are a little bit out of touch in Hollywood every once in a while. I think it's probably a good thing. We're the ones who talked about AIDS when it just being whispered, and we talked about civil rights when it wasn't really popular. . . . This Academy, this group of people, gave Hattie McDaniel an Oscar in 1939 when blacks were still sitting in the backs of theaters. I'm proud to be a part of this Academy. Proud to be a part of this community, and proud to be out of touch.
--George Clooney, in his acceptance speech at the 78th Academy Awards

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
--from the movie Billy Madison, and recently used in a footnote by a Federal Judge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home